Jewish Book Council’s Annual Literary Journal
Paper Brigade is named in honor of the group of writers and intellectuals in the Vilna Ghetto who rescued thousands of Jewish books and documents from destruction by the Nazis. The publication reflects today’s diverse Jewish literary landscape in America and abroad. Paper Brigade was a finalist for CLMP’s 2018 Firecracker Award for Best Debut Magazine.
- Cover art by Ilya Milstein
- Interviews with Michael W. Twitty, Sloane Crosley, Gary Shteyngart, Claire Stanford, and others
- A look at recent novels about Jewish motherhood and fertility
- Fiction by Kate Schmier and Leeor Ohayon
- A Jewish literary map of India
- Five YA fantasy authors on mythological Jewish creatures
- An exploration of the art of Jewish puppetry
- A comic by S. Bear Bergman and Saul Freedman-Lawson
- Plus translation, poetry, photography, and more!
“A smart and
– Tablet Magazine
Featuring interviews with Melissa Broder, Joshua Cohen, and Colum McCann, a Jewish literary map of Australia, an exploration of the folk healers of the Pale, and more. At checkout, you will be given the option to add an electronic gift note to this order.
Featuring interviews with Natasha Díaz, André Aciman, T Kira Madden, and Dani Shapiro, a Jewish literary map of Egypt, an annotated reading list on friendship by Lauren Mechling, and more. At checkout, you will be given an option to a add a gift note to this order.
Featuring interviews with Keith Gessen, Chloe Benjamin, and Ayelet Gundar-Goshen, a Jewish literary map of Italy, Jane Yolen on Jewish fairy tales, and more. At checkout, you will be given an option to a add a gift note to this order.
Featuring Nicole Krauss, Dara Horn, and Rabbi David Wolpe, plus a Jewish literary map of Latin America, beautiful photography, and more.
Issue two is currently out of print.
Praise for Paper Brigade
There is nothing else like it. We have Jewish newspapers, Jewish magazines, websites that publish Jewish fiction, and so on. But not all of them unashamedly rejoice in Jewish letters, teasing out trends, celebrating established writers, and spotlighting emerging ones.
– CANVAS Compendium
A neat package of chicken soup for the literary Jewish soul.
– The Forward
The 2017 issue just came out, and it’s so incredible.
A smart and gorgeous treat.